Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Furthering Effective Ethics Committees

Rosemary Flanigan
January 6, 2009

I want to share with you my resolution for 2010: that I shall work as hard as I can to further the effectiveness of ethics committees. We are a valuable resource within healthcare delivery, and we have built our foundation, edged onto the scene, and for the most part, we are partners.

BUT … across the country the trend is that most case reviews center on end-of-life, and often those cases are handled by the palliative care team, not by us.

I am not trumpeting a turf war here; frankly, those palliative care teams need to be educated as much as early ethics committees, because they are doing ethics.

Rather, I hope to point out other areas where we can make a difference as we made a difference in end-of-life care.

Link: Hospital Ethics Committees: Then and Now, Rosemary Flanigan

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Thaddeus Mason Pope, JD, PhD said...

That is great. As soon as I satisfy some January deadlines, I too plan to make HECs a focus of my energies this year.

Last year, I defended multi-institutional HECs as a way to overcome some of the problems facing intramural HECs.
http://works.bepress.com/thaddeus_pope/18/

I plan to continue that line of research, this year, in some articles and at relevant conferences. http://www.ethics2010.org/

Happy to share resources and ideas.

Thad Pope

Thursday, January 07, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home