Monday, June 6, 2011

Take Two - A Statue for "Dr. Death?"

A range of responses, as expected, around question of whether or not we should erect a statue to Dr. Jack Kevorkian. That and more media coverage can be found on links below.

I doubt he would want a statue. His legacy, at best, may lie in the gratitude of the survivors of the 130 patients he assisted and the boost to palliative care as a better alternative to fear of suffering at the end.

-- Annette Prince

He too easily avoided the deeper philosophical question, "Who is my suffering neighbor and what is my responsibility to him/her?" in my thinking. Living with pain must be a hideous experience but there must be something besides killing the patient to deal with it. I'll pray for him--but I'll not be sending in money for a statue!!!

-- Rosemary Flanigan

Dr. Kevorkian was an unjustly maligned and punished man who performed a great humanitarian service.

-- D.J. Moss

Dr. Kevorkian’s Victims, Ross Douthat, New York Times, June 5, 2011

‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83, Sindya N. Bhanoo, Washington Post, June 5, 2011

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home