Tuesday, June 7, 2011

End of Life Discussion - Check

I know there are a lot of good reasons for this law, but I can’t help but sympathize with the docs on this one.

During my years with the Metropolitan Medical Society in Kansas City I saw law after law passed, combined with regulation after regulation from health plans and multiple measures to protect doctors from medical malpractice. Eventually, we’ve achieved what we have now in far too many cases – a doctor simply going down a checklist, making sure he or she has complied with said laws, regulations and lawsuit avoidance.

In my mind the question is this – do we want end of life discussions reduced to an item on a checklist?

Eager to hear your thoughts.

Link: Law on End-of-Life Care Rankles Doctors, Jane E. Brody, New York Times, June 6, 2011

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home